Stark County Treasurer
Stark County Treasurer
Click the appropriate button below to pay your taxes online through our secure payment module.

For Information On
Call Michael Duruttya

For Information on:
Call Rick Reigle

Manufactured Home Tax
Call Rich Willaman

We accept Visa to pay real estate taxes We accept Mastercard to pay real estate taxes
We accept American Express to pay real estate taxesWe accept Discover to pay real estate taxes

Stark County Land Reutilization Corporation

Unclaimed Funds - Stark County
Stark County Unclaimed
Funds Form

Report An Abandoned House

8:30 to 4:30


20 Most Frequently Asked Questions
About Real Estate Taxes

  1. I received my tax bill in the mail. It was supposed to go to the bank. What do I do?

    ANSWER: This most commonly happens if you refinanced, or in any way changed the information on your tax bill. First, do not worry. Your tax agent knows they owe the taxes and will usually pay them anyway. To correct the mailing of the bill, ask your bank or lender to request in writing a change of mailing from the Treasurer's Office. This must be in writing to conform to the law.

  2. Where do my taxes go?

    ANSWER: Most of your taxes go to support the schools in your district. If you will refer to the TAX RATE TABLE, you will see your taxes expressed in mills for your district and where they go.

  3. When are my taxes late?

    ANSWER: Your taxes are late the day after the date on the current bill. There are no individual extensions.

  4. If I mail my tax payment on the due date is it going to be late?

    ANSWER: No, postal regulations state that the postmark of the due date is to be considered current. But, if your check or money order is dated after the due date (sometimes called post-dating), it is late and a penalty will be added.

  5. How much is the penalty?

    ANSWER: Ohio Revised Code 323.17 requires a penalty of ten (10%) percent to be added to the current taxes due. If the taxes become a full year delinquent, the penalty is compounded and interest is added for a full year delinquency if not paid by December of that year (usually about 5%).

  6. What if I do not receive a bill - do I still have a penalty?

    ANSWER: YES! Failure to revceive a tax bill does not excuse or delay the payment, nor does it excuse any penalty or interest. Taxes are mailed in January to be paid in February and again in June to be paid in July of each year. The due date is published in the Canton Repository about ten (10) days prior to the due date. If you do not receive a tax bill by the end of January or the end of June, you must call our office at 330-451-7814.

  7. Do I always receive a tax bill?

    ANSWER: No, if your taxes are escrowed, to be paid by your lending institution, they will receive the tax bill and will inform you of the amount paid.

  8. What happens if I do not pay my taxes?

    ANSWER: If your taxes become delinquent more than a year, the Treasurer will file with the County Prosecuter's Office to sell the property at Sheriff's auction.

  9. Is there any way I can pay my delinquent taxes in payments?

    ANSWER: The Treasurer's Office may enter into an agreement to allow you to pay your delinquent taxes in five (5) payments. This consists of a first payment to start the contract. Then you will pay your next payment with your current taxes and you will be current after approximately two (2) years. Once you start a contract to bring you current, no further interest or penalty is added. If you break the contract by not paying on time or not the amount in the contract, then the entire amount is due.

  10. Where is your office and when are you open?

    ANSWER: We are at 110 Central Plaza S., Suite 250, in the County Administration Building. Our hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

  11. How do I make out my check?

    ANSWER: You can make your check or money order payable to: Stark County Treasurer.

  12. Can I pay my taxes with my credit card?

    ANSWER: As of January 1, 2002, due to rising costs, the Stark County Treasurer can no longer accept credit cards in the office for payment of taxes. Taxpayers may avail themselves of the card services shown on the back of the tax bill. You will be charged a convenience fee for the service.

  13. May I pay half year tax bill in more than one payment?

    ANSWER: You can arrange to begin paying your next tax bill by calling (330) 451-7824 or e-mail Your next tax billing will be divided into five (5) payments if you sign up now. Remember: the enclosed current bill must be paid in full before you can use prepay.

  14. Why are my taxes billed one year behind?

    ANSWER: You pay for the time you lived in or owned the property - that would be last year. Since you have not lived in or owned the property for this full year, you do not pay for this year until next year.

  15. Why is the old owner's name on my tax bill?

    ANSWER: The name of the owner of record for the tax year we are billling always appears on the tax bill (see question 14). The name on the bill will change in January of the next year.

  16. I sold my property but I received the tax bill. What should I do with it?

    ANSWER: As stated above the owner of record receives the tax bill and is responsible for the taxes. If, at the closing of the sale of the property, you paid the taxes to the new owner or to the closing agent, you may wish to call them or forward the bill.

  17. If I have an overpayment, when can I expect a refund?

    ANSWER: Requests for refunds of overpayment are sent by October of every year. Remember: we cannot credit your next years' taxes with the overpayment. You must claim the overpayment separately.

  18. When is the delinquent real estate list published in the paper?

    ANSWER: The County Auditor publishes the current year delinquent taxes in November of each year.

  19. If I am on a contract to pay my delinquent taxes, do I have to pay the total amount on the bill?

    ANSWER: Yes! If you do not pay the amount due, you have broken the contract and foreclosure will begin! If you wish to make an extra contract payment, you can certainly do that.

  20. My taxes were paid twice in the first half collection. What happens to the second payment?

    ANSWER: Any overpayment in the first half is applied to the second half bill. If the second half bill is paid in full from the first half, you will not receive a tax bill. For any overpayment in the second half, see question 17.


Abandoned Home

Abandoned HomesReport a blighted property in your neighborhood. These properties can become unsightly if not properly maintained and could bring down the sale value of surrounding properties.

In attempt to rectify this growing problem, the Stark County Treasurer is building a database of these blighted tax-delinquent properties in attempt to get them fixed up or sold and back on the tax records.

Abandoned HomesClick here to learn about this program, or to send us information about a blighted property that is in your neighborhood that you want our office to take a look at. We will also forward your information to your City or Subdivision about your complaint.


Stark County Treasurer
County Administration Building
110 Central Plaza S., Suite 250
Canton, OH 44702-1410


Disclaimer | Duties of the Treasurer | Blighted Property Program | Report An Abandoned House | Help

Copyright Stark County © 2008

Design Copyright © CMH Internet